Friday, April 12, 2013

Freebie Friday

This week really flew by!  I have to say that after such a wonderful Spring Break, I wasn't ready to go back.  But...it ended up being an amazing week with lots of activities planned.  Yesterday, we went on a field trip to Imagination Station.  It was probably one of the BEST field trips I've been on.  The kids were well-behaved and we had amazing chaperones.  This was our last field trip of the year.  There were so many hands-on experiments for the kids that when we returned back to the school they were EXHAUSTED!

The adults had a little too much fun too!


Today was supposed to be our FUN DAY.  However, with the horrible weather that was in store for us, it was canceled.  We are hoping it will be rescheduled soon.  

So, today we continued with our study of Patricia Polacco.  The kids just love her!  We read "My Rotten Redheaded Older Brother".  Such a fun story!  The students worked in small groups to do a vocabulary pre-assesment.  The book is a 4th grade level book, so we needed to discuss the vocabulary prior to reading.  I made some word and definition cards for them to try to match up.  I had to see what they already knew.  Then, we went over each word and the meaning.  I wasn't sure if they would be actively engaged, but they were!


Here is a look at our pre-assesment activity.  Don't you love the way they spelled DEFINITION?  Ha!


Pick up your freebie of the words and definitions cards by clicking the pics below!





Then, we read the book and I drew attention to each word and the way they were used in the sentences to gain meaning.  

Afterwards, each group met once again and created a multi-flow map of cause effect relationships.  This can be difficult for 2nd graders, but I wanted something CHALLENGING and RIGOUROUS.  Common Core Vocabulary at its best!  LOL 



I'm off to enjoy my BUSY weekend!  I hope you enjoy yours as well!






No comments:

Post a Comment

My Fitness Pal

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods