Saturday, September 14, 2013

Author's Purpose, Exploring with PIE

One of my favorite things to teach is Author's Purpose.  I use the PIE acronym.  Persuade-Inform-Entertain!  Each year I find more and more great resources to use with this.  This year my students have Interactive Reading Notebooks.  You can find the one I am using HERE.  It covers all Reading Standards for Common Core 2nd Grade.  Nicole Shelby is fabulous!  My students and I love all of her packs.   I also use her Language Interactive Notebook which I will discuss at a later time.

I modeled how to complete each activity and away they went!!!


A flapbook to write the way to figure out the author's purpose by asking questions about a book.


Common Core Standard with the different type's of author's purposes.



This little piece of work was one of those last minute {AHA} moments.  I found this PREZI and I loved how there was a podcast of the story The Apple Pie Tree at the end.  I had students listen to the story and draw what they understood about the story.  Of course some students only drew one thing, but this little friend drew and wrote about everything she remembered.  I love how she analyzed the story and put her own spin on it.  Amazing!

We will continue discussing author's purpose for the next 3 weeks just to make sure they have it down.  I am having the students keep this in their journal so we can organize books we read into the 3 different categories. I want them to reflect on the stories we read so they are easily able to identify author's purpose when reading a story.  You can grab this freebie by clicking on the pic!




Have a restful weekend my friends!
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I am using Nicole's notebooks for 5th grade, too, and my kiddos LOVE them! They are so much more fun than taking notes. :)The pie looks delicious!

    Catherine
    The Brown-Bag Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am encouraging more teachers at our school to use them. I love how students can go back and reference each skill and standard. I wish she had one for math as well. :) Kristi

    ReplyDelete

My Fitness Pal

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods