Saturday, May 19, 2012

I Heart the USA!

Memorial Day is quickly approaching.  While as a teacher, I am very happy about a three-day weekend, I think we sometimes often forget the meaning of Memorial Day.  As a military spouse currently going through a deployment, I am greatly aware of what Memorial Day means.  It means...

Sacrifice, Bravery, Honor, Respect, Dignity, Unity, Reflection, Loss, Tears, Mourning, and so much more.  

I was fortunate enough to get to visit Washington D.C. about 5 years ago.  I toured the White House, which was really awesome.  I went to the Lincoln Memorial, which was extremely crowded.  I saw the Washington Monument, but did not get a chance to get an up close look.  Though these were amazing things to see, I'll never forget the day I was there,  You see, I was there on Veteran's Day.  Talk about E-MO-TION-AL.  I met vet's from all different wars, some in perfect health, some confined to wheel chairs, and families of those that were lost.  I read the name on the memorial walls and watched people trace names.  

Afterwards, I went to Arlington National Cemetery.  It gave me CHILLS!  The silence was so serene and peaceful.  I actually felt like it was a piece of heaven that had dropped down to earth.  I witnessed the wreath laying at The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  Tears again!  Coming from a non-military background,prior to being married, I guess I just didn't get it.  I didn't understand why people joined the military.  I didn't understand the price of war.  I didn't understand a woman or child's sacrifice, even though I thought I did.  In the past 5 years, it has become so much more clear.  

So, as I reflect on Memorial Day next Monday, I reflect as a military spouse who misses her husband, who sheds tears as my daughter cries for her daddy, who must keep calm and know that everything is in the Lord's hands.  I ask that while you have the day off, pray for our troops and families, past and present who have sacrificed so MUCH for your freedom.  

I have created an activity packet that you can use with your class for Memorial Day or Veteran's Day.  Check it out at TpT or Teachers Notebook!  May God Bless!



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Fitness Pal

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods