Sunday, September 23, 2012

5Ws and H and I'm Taking It Back to the Old School



Common Core has been on my brain!  I've been creating new activities to help my students identify with the Common Core.  We've been studying Common Core Standard RL 2.1-Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate key details in a text.

I got this bright idea from 1988 when I was in 2nd grade.  I remember my 2nd grade teacher making a huge poster and making us recite "who, what, where, when, why, and how" over and over and OVER again.  Good thing because it is stuck in my head FOREVER!  So, I made an anchor chart and posted it on the wall.  I already notice how it is helping my students ask questions while reading






Do you remember watching "The Electric Company"?  Oh my goodness, I think every teacher I had from Kindergarten through Grade 4 in the 80s put it on the tv at least once a week.  Man, how silly the show was, but I loved it!  I found this video and played it for my students.  The smiles on their faces brought me back to my childhood.  This is the newer version with Good Charlotte. Check it out!




My students created problem solving magnifying glasses by writing down the 5Ws and H.



If you are a blog follower (or stalker) you can get the magnifying glass template for free by clicking the pics below!



s





Be back soon with more fun activities we are creating!!!  Happy Fall FRIENDS!!!



Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kristi,

    I just had to take a moment to thank you for sharing this delightful post. Although I no longer have children in school, I do have a couple of grandkids attending school. My kids always watched the Electric Company which of course means I did too, lol... I remember the theory of the 5Ws well. We had posters up in our classrooms too!!!

    It looks like your students did a GREAT job on that poster. Kudos to them! I really appreciate you sharing the magnifying glass. It may come in handy one day:) Perhaps tomorrow...Thank you so much for sharing, Kristi. Happy New Year! Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristi , Just found your blog , Louise (Monthsofediblecelebrations) sent me , I do have four small kids (k thru 6 grade) I also became a follower and will be back often , thanks for sharing this wonderful post .

    ReplyDelete

My Fitness Pal

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods