Friday, February 1, 2013

Biography Boxes

TGIF!  I don't know about you, but it has been the looooooongest week EVER!  My kids have been super busy, so you would think time was flying by.  Maybe I just try to cram too much in, but I can't help it.  I need to fill my students minds with knowledge and the best way to do it is to keep them busy with lots of hands-on learning.

This week my students have been building our "Black History Biography Boxes".  We started them on Tuesday by building one piece at a time.  Since the Common Core is all about informational text, I thought it was important for my students to use biographical books and wikipedia to research a famous African-American for Black History month.  I put my students into small groups of no more than 3 and their job was to find out as much information as they could on the person they picked.  They have been having a blast with this activity.  It not only promotes HOTS (Higher-Order Thinking Skills), but is very hands-on.  I am all about HANDS-ON!!!

Next week, we will finish our biography boxes, but I wanted to give you a sneak peak at how my students are creating their boxes.  I will  post this pack next week once the entire project is complete with pics and all.

Check out these cuties!


Well, I'm off to make some hot chocolate.  It is supposed to be 19 degrees here tonight and I'm already freezing.  YIKES!  I'll be dreaming for warm days with my feet in the sand.  Goodnight.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Fitness Pal

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods