Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Estimating Time

We've been super busy this week with TIME!  Why is time always a difficult concept for most students to grasp?  You should have seen their faces when I was modeling quarters on a clock. I just knew they were thinking about coins, which is far from where I wanted them to think!


Then, I threw a bone way out there and we began estimating time.  This took some Kinesthetic reinforcement with timing things that take 1 second versus things that take one minute.  Next, I added 1 hour and 1 day.  We brainstormed some ideas of things that take these various amounts of time and had a very in-depth discussion.


To wrap up the lesson, I gave them some printable templates (included below).  They were to work independently and illustrate activities that would take 1 second, 1 minute, 1 hour, and 1 day.  I loved their illustrations!  I wanted to share this freebie idea so that you don't start pulling your hair out like I did.  I think I have a small bald spot now!  :)

I love the little crayon poking out of the box!  Cute!

This student loves Origami and stressed that it takes a long time depending on the animal.







No comments:

Post a Comment

My Fitness Pal

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods